Below are links to more information and resources specifically about elder abuse:
Organizations that can help
- Alberta Family Violence Information Line (get help anonymously in more than 170 languages): 310.1818
- Health Link: 811
- Protections for Persons in Care (to report abuse in publicly-funded care facilities): 1.888.357.9339
- Edmonton Police Service Non-Emergency Line: 780.423.4567 (available 24 hours a day)
- Edmonton Victim Services (support for victims of crime): 780.421.2217
- Edmonton Seniors Abuse Helpline: 780-454.8888
- Seniors Protection Partnership: 780.477.2929
- Edmonton John Howard Society – Family Violence Prevention Centre (support for people affected by family violence, including moving and court support): 780.423.1635
- Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton (SAGE) – Safe House: 780.702.1520
- Today Family Violence Help Centre (for domestic violence): 780.455.6880
- Calgary Police Service Non-Emergency Line: 403.266.1234 (available 24 hours a day)
- Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter: 403.234.7233 (24-hour family violence helpline)
- Elizabeth Fry Society of Calgary (court support services): 403.294.0737
- Kerby Rotary Shelter (for men and women over 55): 403.705.3250 (24-hour crisis line)
Elsewhere in Alberta
See the Government of Alberta’s Elder Abuse webpage for more resources across Alberta. Recognize signs of elder abuse and learn how to get help.
Legal information and resources
Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta
- Elder Abuse publications, including formation on involving the police, mental incapacity, and planning ahead. Some of these resources are also available in French, Somali, and Arabic
- Families and the Law: Domestic Violence series, including information on leaving abusive relationships, court orders and court processes.
- FAQs on Abuse of Older Adults
- WillowNet: Abuse and the Law in Alberta website with information on domestic abuse and what you can do about it.
Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Network (AEAAN)
- Elder Abuse Brochure, available in English, Arabic, Chinese (Traditional & Simplified), Farsi, French, Hebrew, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish and Tagalog.
Government of Alberta
- Get help – Elder abuse webpage
- Help for victims of crime webpage
- Protecting Against Financial Abuse: A guide for older Albertans, their families and friends
Government of Canada
- Abuse is Wrong in any Language (a booklet for immigrant women suffering abuse in a relationship or family situation).
- Stop Family Violence webpage