Below are links to more information and resources specifically about elder abuse:
Organizations that can help
- Alberta Family Violence Information Line (get help anonymously in more than 170 languages): 310.1818
- Health Link: 811
- Protections for Persons in Care (to report abuse in publicly-funded care facilities): 1.888.357.9339
- Edmonton Police Service Non-Emergency Line: 780.423.4567 (available 24 hours a day)
- Edmonton Victim Services (support for victims of crime): 780.421.2217
- Edmonton Seniors Abuse Helpline: 780-454.8888
- Seniors Protection Partnership: 780.477.2929
- Edmonton John Howard Society – Family Violence Prevention Centre (support for people affected by family violence, including moving and court support): 780.423.1635
- Seniors Association of Greater Edmonton (SAGE) – Safe House: 780.702.1520
- Today Family Violence Help Centre (for domestic violence): 780.455.6880
- Calgary Police Service Non-Emergency Line: 403.266.1234 (available 24 hours a day)
- Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter: 403.234.7233 (24-hour family violence helpline)
- Elizabeth Fry Society of Calgary (court support services): 403.294.0737
- Kerby Rotary Shelter (for men and women over 55): 403.705.3250 (24-hour crisis line)
Elsewhere in Alberta
See the Government of Alberta’s Elder Abuse webpage for more resources across Alberta.
Legal information and resources
Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta
- Elder Abuse publications, including formation on involving the police, mental incapacity, and planning ahead. Some of these resources are also available in French.
- Families and the Law: Domestic Violence series, including information on leaving abusive relationships, court orders and court processes.
- FAQs on Abuse of Older Adults
- WillowNet: Abuse and the Law in Alberta website with information on domestic abuse and what you can do about it.
Alberta Elder Abuse Awareness Network (AEAAN)
- Elder Abuse Brochure, available in English, Arabic, Chinese (Traditional & Simplified), Farsi, French, Hebrew, Punjabi, Russian, Spanish and Tagalog.
Government of Alberta
- Get help – Elder abuse webpage
- Help for victims of crime webpage
- Protecting Against Financial Abuse: A guide for older Albertans, their families and friends
Government of Canada
- Abuse is Wrong in any Language (a booklet for immigrant women suffering abuse in a relationship or family situation).
- Stop Family Violence webpage